Friday, April 10, 2009

I Hate Running :)

Running pretty much sucks. It takes a big chunk out of my day. It's searingly painful on the limbs. And did you ever hear people talk about how you just run through muscle cramps? Well, that's a load of crap.

Although, I'm still successfully managing to force myself through this and it's getting a little bit easier every day. Now my calves burn after 15 minutes instead of 4. I think of 3 miles as a breeze, which it is when using the Galloway method of alternating running and walking. Plus I have cultivated a wonderful relationship with my new Zune music player. Billy Joel injects his infectious brand of enthusiasm and lyrical insight with each step. It's his song 'Second Wind' that I have named my blog after because I believe it is one of his masterpieces. The theme of letting go of mistakes rings through the pleasant driving melody, and the metaphor of a second wind-- getting back up after being down-- I find wonderfully relevant. Because I hate running and I fight myself every second my legs move. Kind of like in the song, there's an internal debate buzzing between the optimist and the defeatist, and the moment the optimist wins-- even if it's just briefly-- that's the second wind.

Now I just need a third wind, a fourth wind, a fifth wind... you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment