Monday, April 27, 2009

Training Officially Begins

The past month has been lovely. I was able to begin my training on my own terms, with my own system and I am seeing some serious results. However, I was also privy to my own misconceptions in terms of the whole walk/run ratio, which was a wonderful surprise when I began the real solo training. I am into a whole new territory here.

Before I talk about that though, I have to say that I woke up at 5:30 on Saturday morning (when I should have been hungover like any other self-respecting 29 year old). I ate a healthy breakfast and dressed in my best synthetics so I could go freeze at the lakefront while the training team gave us the same information for the third time. Then we all got to run for three miles. Yay.

The first thing I did was make a new friend. We're supposed to run at a conversational pace, so converse we did for three miles. I plan on making another new friend next week-- it won't be hard considering I am in the smallest pace group. There are three of us. I may or may not be the pace group leader-- I had to leave after the run, but before that was established. Upon leaving, I did offer to have them circle my name, yet the outcome of that is still unknown.

Now, I have to talk about training today... So after this whole 'find your pace group' deal we were given our run/walk ratios. This is essential to the Galloway method, where you run for a spell and then walk-- supposedly you get a better time with this method and it has a higher rate of success for finishing.

My ratio is 3:1. So I run for three minutes, walk for one, run for three-- you get the idea. Well the ratio I had been using was a nice 1:1 ratio. I figured that was nice and balanced... Apparently that is not even a pace group option. Needless to say, today's run and subsequent strength training were a little more vigorous...

No comments:

Post a Comment